Tuesday 13 March 2012

circumbilivaginate

This is not a literary, intellectual or mature piece of writing but it is my appreciation of the word 'circumbilivaginate'. It is an old English word which means to walk around in circles which is, in itself, a delightful concept and which is only enhanced by the exceedingly silly nature of the word to an immature modern audience.
I am not protesting that 'circumbilivaginate' has dropped from the language - even as I write it the computer is drawing ugly red scars beneath it - as it is clearly a clumsy, long-winded verb which was unlikely to stand the test of our fast-paced lifestyle. All I wish to do is to highlight it, revel in everything to do with it and hopefully inspire a couple of you to drop it into a conversation.
'I circumbilivaginated the club for hours looking for you' could become a commonplace sentence among students and my joy at overhearing that would be unbounded. As would hearing how a shopper 'circumbilivaginated the supermarket looking for cheese'.

Please bear with me, language has its rougher joys as well as being a fine art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment